The Bloganuary prompt for January 1, 2023 is : “What is something you want to achieve this year?“
A number of years ago I decided to stop making New Year’s resolutions. They never worked for me and there was too little accountability. When I thought about today’s challenge, I realized that Achievements can be very close to Resolutions but it is easier to attach measurable goals to them. By the end of this post, we will see if I succeeded in that 😀 .
For many years and through many of my various “careers” I have sought out opportunities to teach. Working in a College has solidified my desire to become an instructor. I am taking courses to ward my Provincial Instructor Diploma PIDP. What I have successfully achieved so far is to become a substitute vocational instructor for the Okanagan College Women In Trades department. This has enabled me to teach every once in a while for a few days or weeks. In 2022 I also taught a full general interest course “Step Into Steel Toes” and that was a lot of fun.
My Goal for 2023 is to become a full-time instructor.
- For this, I have to continue my educational goals and
- Prove that I am the best candidate for the job
- Produce a convincing job application
Of course, the selection itself is not under my control but I can do everything possible to show that I am the best candidate for the position.
As a life-long learner I have educational goals too 🙂
- Take at least two more courses in the PIDP towards becoming a certified instructor.
- The first one, starting in January is called “Media Enhanced Learning” and I am looking forward to it
- Blacksmithing: For Christmas, my partner Michele gave me the gift of a beginner course in blacksmithing. This is something I have wanted to do for a while.
- Take more seminars in the area of equity and becoming a better ally to 2SLGBT+ folks.
My journey to bake better sourdough bread has become an important hobby for me. Leading up to the holidays I baked a lot of bread as gifts and I have begun trading bread for things like honey 🙂
My baking goals for 2023 are:
- Bake baguette and buns in addition to bread. This requires me to experiment more with higher-hydration recipes
- You can follow my baking journey in the baking section of this blog
Lately, I am feeling a lot of gratitude for my life. A lot of that has to do with the wonderful partner I have in my wife Michele and the life we built and continue building.
For 2023 I want to increase the quality of the time we spend together. We both enjoy hanging out together and watching TV. Let’s see if we can find ways to fill that time with even more meaningful activities
Happy New Year
Writing goals for achievements down makes them somewhat more real. Telling you about them increases accountability and the chances of reaching the goals.
I am looking forward to tomorrow’s bloganuary prompt. Are you taking part in #Bloganuary? If so, please leave the link to your blog in the comments.